Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sunday Salon - The Yiddish Policeman's Union




So, I got run over by a bus on Friday. Saturday, I'm standing in the kitchen with my sister, a stupid grin plastered on what's left of my face, reading her a paragraph from this book. She looks bewildered. "Didn't you just get run over by a bus?" she's thinking. "Yeah, but this is a great book!"


The previous paragraph has a faint echo of Michael Chabon's writing style. With apologies to Michael Chabon, of course. What do you call that kind of writing? I don't know the technical term, but I call it amazing!


I'm a little distracted right now, so I'm not reading very quickly. I think I've read about eight chapters so far. I love Michael Chabon's writing! This is a very 'ethnic' book, peppered with Yiddish. (There's a glossary at the back of the book, so that's not a problem.) The story is interesting and well crafted and this is the perfect book for me right now.


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan, you do know, don't you, that every one of us in the Salon will be rooting for you all the way? Think of us as extended family, here to do whatever we can. Just ask.

On the subject of Chabon, I think he's a remarkable writer as well, although this is one I've yet to read. Another for the tbr list.

 
At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your kind words! In the past I would never have guessed how therapeutic a kind word can be. I know now - it means a lot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home