Tuesday, April 29, 2008

123 Meme

Debra Hamel from "The Deblog" tagged me for the 123 Meme. The rules are:

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.



I chose "Foreskin's Lament", a memoir by Shalom Auslander. On page 123 he talks about his childhood friendship with a pair of black children. Now he tells how the friendship dissolved as they grew a little older:



Our friendship seemed to wither as new friends entered our world: friends of his who wondered why I was talking to him. Hellos became waves. Waves became nods.



I commented on this book earlier. I certainly have reservations about it, but it impressed me.

Now, to tag five people. How about Tom, from Random Thinking; Clare from Keeper of the Snails; Maxine from Petrona; Kimmy from Smug Cloud; and YOU (You know who you are! You'd like to do the meme, wouldn't you?)

2 Comments:

At 7:01 AM, Blogger Kimmy said...

Tag noted. I'll get to it soon;-) Thanks.

 
At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, exactly the same here - thanks Susan. I love that excerpt - it says so much so succinctly and so poignantly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home