Sunday, November 11, 2007

Sunday Salon - Third Post

I like this book. I can understand the characters. By page two hundred, twenty-six we've had a series of intriguing vignettes from the author's youth. "These are stories" Munro has told us in her foreward. I guess. If that is true, the stories are very well done.



The View from Castle Rock doesn't disappoint and yet I'm just a little disappointed. The framework is historical, but the flesh around the bones largely ignores history. There are certainly some excellent, timeless character studies though.

2 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That always troubles me, failure to attend to history. Unless, of course, the author makes it perfectly clear that they intend to ignore it. I was curious to hear your reactions to this book. I've read one collection of short stories by Munroe, and really enjoyed it.

 
At 4:07 AM, Blogger Jan said...

Haven't called lately Susan but hope all is well and shall be back

 

Post a Comment

<< Home