Sunday, August 12, 2007

Fantasy

Years ago I lived in a very tall building in downtown Vancouver. It was a hotel for the first twenty floors or so and apartments for the remaining floors, up to floor thirty-five. I think I lived on the twenty-ninth floor...



Riding up and down in elevators on a regular basis one comes to expect a certain level of civility and I found myself increasingly irritated by other riders. The occasional buffoon would enter the elevator and place himself directly in front of me, allowing a space of perhaps two inches between his back and my face. Now, understand, I spent a lot of time in elevators... I was also relatively tall at the time, starting with a God-given five foot, six inches and then adding about four inches of heel. I often rode the elevator staring at someone's frail, vulnerable neck. One day it occurred to me what a wonderful surprise it would be if I suddenly sank my teeth into the neck that was so close, so meaty. After that I could never ride the elevator again without a big smile on my face and evil in my heart.



I haven't done it yet, but there's no telling when I may snap.

8 Comments:

At 1:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wonderful, Susan! I don't think I am ever going to stand with my back to anyone in a lift again. I am going to turn round and stare at them just to make sure they don't try anything.

I have awarded you a thoughtful blogger award, BTW.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Kimmy said...

And you say you don't watch Buffy!

Lovely story. I shall never feel safe in an elevator again;-)

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Medbie said...

And I imagined you so tame, so calm, never so predatory!

What a story that would make. . .

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clare, I've been smiling all day thinking of you staring nervously at the person behind you in the lift!

Kimmy and Medbie, I prefer to think of myself as 'feisty' rather than predatory. It might be a good story, actually, because I do look relatively harmless. Occasionally Peter will leave the house for a walk, leaving the door unlocked. He always says "I'm leaving the door unlocked...God help anyone who tries to get in."

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Douglas said...

My 14-year-old son has been enjoying Stephanie Meyer's grisly tales of young vampires in love...I keep telling him that the living shouldn't date the undead...

 
At 1:34 AM, Blogger marthalena said...

Yes, mummy, it was the 29th floor. Now, I was four and you were 28/29 and I'm the one who remembers this???

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger A Paperback Writer said...

Ah, I spend so much time writing about vampires that this amuses me greatly. One of my characters would definitely sympathize with you on this.....
I will think of you the next time I'm in an elevator.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

saucy wench

 

Post a Comment

<< Home