Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Stupidity or Serendipity?

I had a lovely little package arrive from Amazon yesterday. I put it aside to open when Jon wasn't around because "The Children of Hurin" is for his birthday. The package also contained two Alexander McCall Smith books ("Blue Shoes and Happiness" and "Portuguese Irregular Verbs"). I don't know how I managed it, but instead of the book I ordered a 4-CD version of "Portuguese Irregular Verbs". I'm a little disappointed, but perhaps it will turn out to be a happy mistake! I haven't had a book read to me in ages. This might be fun! If I love it the way I expect to, then I'll just order the book as well.

I'm reading McCall Smith's "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" right now and I find his writing delightful. There's a Sunday School feel about it - sweetness, kindness and simplicity - what a lovely change of pace! (I think I need to order every one of his books. )

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, Blogger dhamel said...

Isn't it strange how a book can have that sweet quality to it? I'm not even sure how he does it. It's like how some places manage to be calming. But how? It's just the rearrangement of objects around a space. How can that evoke a magic feeling?

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Susan said...

I think the books are very much like children's literature. The sentence structure is simple, meanings very direct. The lack of subtlety is a joy.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Kay Cooke said...

My Dad-in-law's a great fan. I started one of his books and didn't finish it. I should try again. No doubt I'm missing out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home