Thursday, May 24, 2007

Eczema by Clare Dudman

I'm sick again - went to bed hours earlier than usual last night. Before I turned out the light I read Clare Dudman's short story Eczema from the collection Logorrhea. It's a remarkably complex story to fit into just twenty-five pages. The first sentence captured me - "crows?"


I turned out the light to a feverish, perhaps delirious sleep during which I struggled with a strange re-working of the story. I don't know what I was doing - collecting sentence parts, rearranging chairs. I'm not sure that Clare actually intended it, but in my fitful sleep I found a number of 'born again' Christian elements to her story. Interesting, strange - you really should read it.


I haven't read any of the other stories in Logorrhea yet, but Clare comments on a pair of them here. I'm very happy with the book at any rate. Eczema alone justifies the purchase. I'd be interested in hearing someone else's 'take' on the story.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 5:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thnk you, Susan. Ah, such kind remarks - it's very good of you. There wasn't really meant to be a born-again element to the story but stragely enough it was set off by a religious event that haunted me a lot.

I hope it doesn't give you too many bad dreams and very much hope that you are better again soon.

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Jan said...

Susan:
I HAVEN'T HEARD FROM YOU FOR A LONG LONG TIME AND I SEE YOU ARE NOT WELL.
NEEDLESS TO SAY, GET WELL SOON AND TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Clare is such an awesome writer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home