Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Easter


I suppose I do tend to overdo things... I've always enjoyed looking at life from a child's perspective and so I love all of the 'events'. Easter is no exception. These are pictures from last year because I probably won't put up the Easter village this year. My 'children' are a little old for it now. Still, it's the twenty-four year old who annually responds to my "I suppose I won't bother with the village this year..." with "Next you'll say no Christmas tree!".

Over the years I collected quantities of bunny figures. I decided to make a little village for them and so Peter put together two layers of plywood and installed lightbulbs under the top layer. I used wire and papier mache to mold a hill, a roadway, a little mountain and a stream. I cut little holes into the mountain so that you can peak through to the lighted interior and see a little bunny family at the dinner table in one room, a sleeping rabbit in another, a sleeping bear cub and mother bear in another. I put up shelves inside the caves and knick-knacks on the shelves. (I think that if you click on the picture it should come up larger...)

The boys (two sons, one husband) get excessive amounts of Easter candy and so our Easter egg hunt was a bit problematic. I don't want to put them into diabetic comas! I came up with the best idea for an Easter egg hunt, inspired by the joy I see in big Pete's eye when he's spotted a lost coin on the street. I have rubber stamps (also to excess) and among them I have a variety of Easter egg stamps, so I rubber-stamped egg designs onto cardstock. Then I had the great fun of colouring them! I am so childish. I also found scrapbook paper printed with beautiful Faberge-style eggs. I glued the scrapbook paper to cardstock for more eggs to cut out. I marked the reverse of each egg (perhaps two hundred of them) with a value or an item (5 cents, 10 cents, 25 cents, a dollar, two dollars, candy). I hide them in the house and because they're quite small it seems to be an appropriate challenge for adults. The boys loved it.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great reading your post...and the photos look wonderful..nice work..it's great to see people excited about Easter..and to share some more of this joyous spirit do drop by my blog on Easter Wishes sometime and enjoy all that i've posted there!!!!

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Jan said...

Happy Canada Easter Susan! Im all for traditions; they're traditions because we made them so.

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger Marie said...

Lovely photos.

Happy Easter!

 
At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you got a night shot? I'd love to see one of those lighted interiors.

Clare

 

Post a Comment

<< Home