Sunday, March 25, 2007

Indian Photograph


Peter's grandparents were photographers back in the time when there were no 'amateur' photographers. Gus and Margaret Maves worked together and produced some wonderful Canadiana. We've got a book that calls Gus 'one of the finest colourists in Canada'. Actually, I believe that it was Margaret who did the colour work, but in those days the husband always got the credit. Before coming to Victoria - around 1918 - Gus and Margaret worked for at least seventeen years in the Ontario area. I suspect that this picture was likely taken there. Some day perhaps we'll try to get more information on the subject. In the meantime, his is one of the few Maves pictures we still have. Peter's mother donated most of her parents' photographs to the Archives.


Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's some heirloom! Such a dignified face, and I love the subdued colours.

'...the husband always got the credit' that happened in quite a lot of fields, didn't it?

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Jan said...

It's superb to discover talented ancestors...when I cleared my mother's house after she died, I found a poetry book written by a great uncle who had lived in South Africa. Nobody had ever mentioned him or this talent.

 
At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your dear talented ancestors took a photo of my great great great uncle "Sir Hugh McKay",hero of the Crimea War..Knighted by Queen Victoria. Its a very handsome photo with all his medals & glory.While cleaning the original frame I saw his card on the back inside..Gus A. Maves ,Artist.so I thought I would look it up...I think I have made the right connection..?I would love to send a photo of the photo to you for your collection ,If you would like.
Lynne Glendenning

 

Post a Comment

<< Home