Saturday, December 09, 2006

Have I mentioned that I love Christmas?


I haven't posted for a while because I've been busy with Christmas preparations. Maxine kindly checked in to make certain that I was alright. Thank you for giving a hoot, Maxine! Actually, I've been having a lovely time. I love the glitter of the holiday season and it's difficult to control the urge to add glitz to every corner of the house. I hope I'm managing to stay on the respectable side of good taste. I've posted a couple of pictures and I'll add more soon.

I had intended to get started by November 15 this year but delayed until December 1. I began by emptying two kitchen cupboards and the china cabinet and switching the kitchen over to all-Christmas dishes. I've decorated two mantels, put up a Christmas village on the windowsill and a small all-white tree in the dining room. There's another small tree near the front door with novelty items such as a Star Trek ornament - push a button and you hear Leonard Nimoy's voice saying "Shuttlecraft to Enterprise, shuttlecraft to Enterprise...Spock here. Happy holidays, live long and prosper". (That one gets a little tired after a few plays!)

There's another little tree on my grandmother's chest by the front door. It's quite a pretty thing with a woodsy look to it, made of pine cones, walnuts and other 'natural' bits with just a hint of sparkle added.

Our large tree is centred between the living and dining rooms and is directly opposite the front door. I haven't had time to decorate that yet.

I think I should be able to finish the house by tomorrow. I'm about half way through the shopping. The wrapping is no concern because I have a lifetime supply of wrapping paper and ribbon and should I run out of time I also have a collection of well over a hundred ready-made fabric gift bags. I made them a few years ago (a wonderful way to use some of that gorgeous Christmas fabric you see in stores) and the boys in particular are quite taken with them. Open a bag, drop in a gift, tie the bag shut and write the gift tag - very handy when you're in a hurry!

6 Comments:

At 1:05 AM, Blogger Jan said...

Is that your grandmother's chest in your blog signature photo?
Two weeks to Christmas and I have scarcely done a thing. Shall get my skates on!

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Kimmy said...

Lovely little tree! Sounds like you have quite a bit of nice decorations. I especially like the sound of those bags you made. Great idea!

 
At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This activity and the results are all lovely, Susan. Unfortunately it gives me, "working mother typica" a massive inferiority complex. I don't even think about xmas (apart from buying presents for the girls which i love doing) until I stop work for the duration, i.e. around 20 Dec. Then I get a box of decorations out of the attic, same ones we've been using for 23 years with a few added each year. Malcolm and the girls go out for a tree, we decorate it, and that's about it.
Your house sounds so much more festive and relaxing.
Glad you are OK and so happy and busy, Susan! (Seeing your blog allows exclamation marks).

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No wonder you've not been posting! Looks splendid, Susan. Everytime I feel like a bit of Christmas cheer I'll just click onto your blog.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Susan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Susan said...

The earlier deleted comment was mine. After posting the following I noted a minor repetition that I wanted to correct. I didn't know it would result in "this post has been removed by the author":

No, Jan, my grandmother's chest isn't anything splendid - it's just my grandmother's chest, made for her as a wedding present (1890). It's a battered old thing, but I treasure it. I'll be posting a picture with a disembodied Santa head - it's shown on her chest.

I've always exhausted myself over the Christmas season, Maxine. I missed a lot of sleep when I was working!

I've collected ornaments since I was ten years old. (I wish I could enter this in tiny type.... i'm fifty-eight now...) I don't need any more ornaments, but every year I buy more. I have boxes and boxes and boxes of them, all carefully numbered with contents catalogued. I know. I should be ashamed of myself. But I love them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home