Saturday, December 30, 2006

Civilization?

I'm sick about the execution of Saddam Hussein. I wouldn't argue that he probably deserved what he got, but 'humanity' in the noblest interpretation of that word doesn't deserve it. How can a humane species justify registering abhorrence of violence with more violence? Life is precious; surely a decent human being dislikes even squishing a bug! And still we accept the killing of another human being because that person hasn't adhered to our rulebook? Lock him away if he's a threat to others but execution? That's barbaric and unnecessary. Saddam's gone now and he's not suffering any more but each of us has been brutalized by this practice which does not belong in a society that wants to call itself 'civilized'.

4 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I totally agree with you Susan. It sounds just like what I said to my family when we watched the news last night. (Another confirmation for me as to why I now never watch TV news - I only watched all the sensationalism about it last night because it seemed unsociable of me not to at the time.)

 
At 1:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Love and light for the New Year, Susan.

 
At 4:15 AM, Blogger Confucious Trevaskis said...

Absolutely agree with you Susan!

Happy New Year to you and your family

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger Tom P. said...

Although I am opposed to executions in general, I am not sick over the death of Saddam. There are a lot more serious injustices in the world than the execution of a murderous dictator to get worked up about. And the death penalty is not always wrong. Although locking people away forever may sound like a plan, it is not always possible. It could be there is no way to prevent violence to free the person being held. I don't think this applied in Saddam's case but it could apply in the capture of terrorist chiefs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home