Monday, December 11, 2006

The best-laid schemes o' mice an men gang aft agley

I was really doing well with my Christmas preparations.... Then last night I recognized the symptoms of impending doom - vertigo. I suppose I'm a terrible sissy but vertigo is the WORST ailment I've ever suffered. Individually the symptoms are not a problem. Minor head cold, minor stuffiness, minor nausea. But put them all together and in its worst form vertigo is completely debilitating. Last time I had it I couldn't even get to the bathroom without putting my arms around Peter's waist, closing my eyes and playing 'choo-choo train' to get there. You can't read, you can't watch television, you can't so much as move your head without waves of nausea flooding over you. So far I've held the monster at bay. I slept sitting bolt upright last night (not very restful) and I've been taking vitamins, purple grape juice (purportedly a useful anti-viral) and antihistamines. I know that if I put my head down I'm 'done for', so I'll be sleeping in a chair again tonight. Wish me luck!

4 Comments:

At 5:42 AM, Blogger Kay Cooke said...

You poor thing. That sounds dreadful. I'm suffering from insomnia at the moment ... writing this at 2.41 a.m. but I am thankful I'm not suffering what you are. Hope it goes soon. Yes I do wish you luck.

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger dhamel said...

Yuck. This sounds like the dehydration I suffered when I was pregnant with Mel. I wound up having to stay overnight in the hospital. It was horrible. I couldn't lift my head. I didn't realize this is what vertigo is like. I just thought it was like Jimmy Stewart on the roof in the movie.

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds nasty - I too didn't realise vertigo was like this - I just thought it meant you felt a bit dizzy. I hope you feel better soon.

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Jan said...

Hope you're soon better Susan. And thanks for the tip re purple grape juice. Take care so you're fit to enjoy Christmas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home