Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Interesting Development

I don't know if any of you remember that I started a Hobson Family web page to record information about my family. Yesterday someone visited this blog and left a comment asking me to contact him because he is also a direct descendant of my great-grandfather. This chap lives in Ohio and has been doing genealogical research for five years. He apparently entered some data into Google and my page popped up in first position. It's nice to find a previously unknown branch of the family tree and the cousin (I presume he's a cousin or something like that) has already contributed details which I did not have. I love the computer age!

2 Comments:

At 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it is wonderful - there is so much access - but sometimes it is also a touch disconcerting. Once the teacher I had when I was 11 popped in with a comment which thrilled me but also made me realise more than ever that the whole world (well, those lucky enough to be on-line) can read what I write.

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember well when you set this site up, Susan, and read quite a bit of it at the time --fascinating stuff.
And yes, isn't the Internet wonderful, what a lovely story!
A man sent me an email the other week, out of the blue -- he is called Bruce Irving and is a composer/computer geek with a number of websites and a blog. He had picked up the name "Irving" (Malcolm's and my girls' name) via the internet and had been following my blog for a while, then got in touch. We are not related, as it turns out, but have exchanged some interesting genealogical information, and I sent his music files over to Malcolm's sister and her family, as they are the "musical Irvings".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home