Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Go away, George


It's been a very interesting evening. I was thrilled to see one independent - Joe Lieberman - win in Connecticut. The Democrats took control of Congress. They may also gain control of the Senate. At the moment the Democrats and Republicans have each gained forty-nine senate seats. There are two races that haven't been called yet and if the Democrats can win them (they're currently leading in both) they will have control of the Senate. If the two remaining seats are shared between the Republicans and the Democrats, the Senate will be Republican because any tie in voting is broken by a deciding vote from the Vice-President.

The CNN coverage was entertaining. I love James Carville's comments. He's a somewhat odd fellow - my son calls him the 'brain alien' - but a brilliant strategist and commentator. Jeff Greenfield pointed out the weakness of many of the Republican candidates over moral turpitude issues. He mentioned one Republican campaign ad' from an incumbent who had admitted an affair and a lawsuit initiated by a lover accusing him of assault. I didn't hear it myself but Greenfield said that it started "I'm really sorry that I cheated on my wife, but I really didn't choke that woman..." Not the most effective campaign ad' I suspect! (Normally, it would seem inappropriate to mention the man's personal life, but these are the same people who think nothing of making moral judgments on others.)

It looks like it will be a while before the final numbers are settled. There will almost certainly be recounts in some of the closer contests. I'm very pleased though. These are the best election results in ten years. There's been very little cussing in this house tonight.

3 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Darren said...

It just keeps getting better. Now Rumsfeld has resigned, just days after Bush expressed his undying, everlasting, unconditional love for Rummy.

"You're doing a heckuva job, Rummy. Yer fired!"

 
At 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, tis good.

 
At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan-- you must be thrilled. I enjoyed it too, particularly GB's speech when he said 'I thought we were going to do quite well yesterday-- shows what I know'. Isn't that just what you want to hear from the world's most powerful country? Inspires such confidence doesn't it? hmmmm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home