Saturday, October 21, 2006

Marie from Deep Thinker has tagged me with an interesting meme. Initiated by a lady named Sharon, at "Dipping Into the Water Butt", it's a 'people collection' meme. Briefly, her idea is to assemble what will presumably be quirky little lists under the heading "Five things about me that aren't generally known". The lists will serve in somewhat the same way as an artist's sketchbook. Sharon feels that the details we share may serve as some sort of inspiration for a future character. I've been very impressed by Clare's and Marie's submissions on the topic. This particular meme seems quite inspired.

The following is a statement which Sharon requested be included with individual memes:

PLEASE LEAVE THE FOLLOWING IN ALL ‘PEOPLE COLLECTION’ POSTS
Remember that it isn’t always the sensational stuff that writers are looking for, it can just as easily be something that you take for granted like having raised twins or knowing how to grow beetroot. Mind you, if you know how to fly a helicopter or have worked as a film extra, do feel free to let the rest of us know about it :-)


So, anyone looking for a freakish new character can just pause right here!

Five Things About Me That Are Generally Not Known:

1. I'm borderline (self-diagnosed) obsessive compulsive and I married a man with the same tendency. He annoys the (*#6*@ ) out of me at times because I can be loading - or emptying -the dishwasher, turn my back for a minute and he will have closed the dishwasher. I was stooping in the pantry the other day, scooping rice out of a large container, and his arm popped in the door to turn off the light. Of course, I'm sure I can be equally annoying to him...at least, I try to be.

2. When my mother was cross with me once she said "You have mean, thin little lips, just like your father!" My poor mother later denied ever having said such a thing, but never mind, I embrace my mean, thin little lips and find them very convenient at times. I simply purse my mouth in such a way as to almost conceal the lips, peer at my husband with a bird-like tilt of the head and he laughs. By which point I've usually 'put a thumb on the scale' so to speak and won my case.

3. I married a man who most closely resembled my favourite breed of dog - a Black Labrador. I feed him well and show him plenty of affection.

4. My eyes are too pale, too blue and so I prefer dark rooms and dim light. The walls in my living area are the colour of chocolate ice cream and the windows are shielded by more plants than you are ever likely to imagine.

5. My plant collection is growing exponentially because I can't seem to kill anything. (Not that I'd try of course!) My problem is that when a plant requires pruning I can't bear to throw away anything with life left in it. One hibiscus has turned into seven. One oleander is six. A jade leaf from the floor of a shopping mall has become two fairly impressive trees and numerous small plants. Even a piece of leftover ginger from the kitchen turned into a flowering plant.


Now the painful part of any meme, to 'tag' more people who may or may not care to participate:
It really is an interesting one, so perhaps Debra...Karen...Douglas...and Tom? I'd love to also learn more about Ian, but he's got an excuse I think...

7 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Susan, I have just been doing this meme on Petrona, having also been tagged by Marie, and as I am in the house on my own I can stay up late ;-), so I wrote up my "five things" -- but they are so bland and wooden compared with yours. I just love your dishwasher/lightswitch thing -- how "me"! Like you, I have too pale/blue eyes so have to keep out of the sun.

I see you have a su dokcu calendar in your calendar collection. I am only up to March on my 2006 one.....

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an interesting take on the "Five Things" that was :-)

I thought I had a lot of houseplants (have been told that my living room resembles a jungle) but by the sounds of things, I've nothing compared to you.

Thanks for taking part. I'll add your post to the list.

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I found it fascinating to read what your special little quirks are - such endearing divulgences!

 
At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Endearing divulgences" -- well I misread that as "Endearing divergencies" and thought "what a good name for a blog. Now all I have to do is to think of a topic area...."

But whatever the noun, I agree with the adjective.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger dhamel said...

I'm the same way on your number 1! David used to do things like open the cabinet door a crack to see how long it would take me to close it.

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this meme - you learn so much about people - all these wonderful little details - the lips, the eyes, the plants - much, much better than a photo

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Tom P. said...

So I finally did it...

http://www.downsyn.com/phpbb2/weblog_entry.php?e=92

 

Post a Comment

<< Home