Friday, October 06, 2006

Feminist Five

Maxine from Petrona tagged me for a meme with a suffragette theme. I am to list five things that feminism has given me. This really is a wonderful subject. I've given it a lot of thought over the years and come to the conclusion that I'm not so much a 'feminist' myself as an 'individualist'. However, feminism was certainly the vehicle that delivered my rights and my daughter's rights. We owe a debt to the remarkable women who had the courage to demand those rights for us all.

Before I respond on the meme I'd like to remind everyone that there are still individuals who are being denied reasonable rights in our society. I believe that whether or not we are personally 'attracted' to the gay lifestyle, we need to remember that homosexuality IS. It's not a perverse choice, it is simply a difference. A homosexual has just as much right to BE as any other human being and he/she is currently being denied the right to marry and to obtain the same financial benefits as heterosexual couples. That needs to change.

Five Things That Feminism Has Given Me:

1. The ability to take joy in the birth of a daughter, knowing that her voice would be heard and that she would have the same opportunities a son would.

2. The right to make every major decision for myself. The right to make a 'wrong' decision and the ability to recover from any errors made.

3. It's not that many years ago that females were considered 'chattels' in their husbands' households. They were not permitted to control property. Feminism has given us ownership of ourselves and of our material possessions.

4. Feminism has given me the right to vote! That's a right I take very seriously. I've voted in every election - minor and major - since I reached the age of majority. I have influenced other peoples' votes, cajoled the ultra-conservative and the ultra-liberal and each of my votes has cancelled out one extremist vote.

5. Feminism has allowed me to be feminine on the surface and yet still prepared to do whatever is necessary to preserve my position and rights. I can wear a lovely dress and keep a gun tucked under my bed!

Now I am supposed to 'tag' three other people and ask them to post their own responses to the question. If you've got the time, ladies? Debra? Kimmy? and Marie ?

4 Comments:

At 6:45 AM, Blogger dhamel said...

Neah, I'm passing on this one. Sorry!

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Susan, I knew you'd write something fresh.
I think this meme is too "general", though. I think ones that direct the answers a bit more, and are on "smaller" topics, probably work better, eg the series John Baker is running at the moment.
That isn't to lessen the value of your post, Susan: as ever, your take on life with its typical mixture of thoughtfulness, unselfishness, humour and pragmatism, is most stimulating. I learn a lot from you.

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good answers - and I found the first one very touching.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Marie said...

All great answers Susan.

I'd better get to work on mine then!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home