Friday, September 01, 2006

Debra from The Deblog and book-blog.com has a *BAFAB Week contest running on her blog right now.

*BAFAB (Buy a Friend a Book) Week (see buyafriendabook.com) is a holiday you celebrate by surprising a friend with a thoughtfully selected book. BAFAB Weeks come around four times a year, the first weeks of every January, April, July, and October.

To participate in Debra's contest, she wants you to complete the following meme, post it on your blog and tell her about it with a comment at book-blog - with a link to your post - on or before September 29, 2006.

My meme is going to look significantly different from everyone else's, I suspect, because I don't read much in the way of fiction. I favour poetry, history and science. Debra's book reviews have pointed me to some alternative reading recently, though. Here's what's in my Amazon basket right now:

One Day the Ice Will Reveal All Its Dead, by Clare Dudman
Man with Farm Seeks Woman with Tractor, Laura Schaafer
Vanish, Tess Gerritsen
The Ruins, Scott Smith
Exercises in Style, Raymond Queneau
The Dark is Rising Sequence, Susan Cooper

The Win a Free Book for BAFAB* Meme!

1. What are you reading now? I read poetry all the time, choosing randomly from a very large collection. Right now it's Lawrence Ferlinghetti. I'm not sure what to think of him - he's interesting... Not exactly my 'cup of tea', but I think I might choose Ferlinghetti or John Ciardi collections for that 'stranded-on-a-desert-island' question in another meme. I'd probably end up hating them by the time I got off the island, but there's plenty of material to ponder with those poets!
2. What's the best book you've read this year? Trying Neaira, by Debra Hamel.
3. What's your favorite work of historical fiction? Trying Neaira, by Debra Hamel. It's a good book and I'm quite thrilled to 'know' the author.
4. Pick a random book from your shelves and write down its first sentence. Does it make you want to read more? "It was a museum, in a way like any other, this Musee de l'Homme, Museum of Man, situated on a pleasant eminence with, from the restaurant plaza in back, a splendid view of the Eiffel Tower." Yes, I'd say that the sentence successfully draws the reader in.
5. Have you ever read a book and wished that you'd written it? What was it? "Lord of the Rings" - wonderfully creative, Tolkien wrote beautifully.
6. What book on your shelves do you wish you'd never bought? "The Gun Seller", by Hugh Laurie. I found it disappointing.
7. Have you ever bought someone a book for BAFAB? Yes. I've participated in the last two BAFAB weeks.
8. What book do you really wish someone would buy you for BAFAB? Now, if I fill this in I'm going to look like I'm soliciting a present! Here's one I'm asking for for Christmas - "Reminiscences of Wordsworth Among the Peasantry of Westmoreland", by Hardwicke Drummond Rawnsley.

Next part of the meme requirement:
9. Go to book-blog.com and leave a comment mentioning your post. Remember to include your permalink in the comment. O.K., in a minute...
10. Tag three people. That's difficult. I hope you ladies won't mind.... Marie? Minx? Lee?

4 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh thanks Susan - you just know how much I love these things don't you????

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Oh, Minx, should I tag someone else instead? The entire process terrifies me, so I can certainly relate..

 
At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No worries Susan, consider me tagged - I'll get around to it at some point!!

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

With you on LOTR, Susan.
I can highly recommend Clare's book, I read it on holiday. Although it is a novel, someone who prefers reading non fiction (science and history) would be very happy and comfortable with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home