Monday, June 26, 2006

Corner Gas

I think it's just another case of 'synchronicity'. It's only yesterday that Douglas had us thinking about which character in a situation comedy we would choose to be, and today I read in the newspaper that Corner Gas has been sold to an American network and will run in the United States starting in the fall. I'd like to recommend this show to you all.

I think now I need to make some excuses for this strange program. It's so very CANADIAN that in some ways it's pretty bad. The people are all ordinary looking, far too pale (not all that much sun up here) and DULL, but after a while you start to appreciate them. There's a sweetness and a gentleness to prairie folk and I think they represent everything that is good about this country. They're not fools at all. In fact, there is some pretty intelligent dialogue in the show. It's just 'humdrum'. (How's that for a sales pitch?! I'll bet you're all really excited about seeing it now!) Honestly, though, this is a good program; you just need to give it a chance (i.e., do watch it more than once because it may take a while to grab you). The show is very popular here and there are often cameo appearances by Canada's celebrities - one show opened with a little vignette between the main character and our then-Prime Minister, Paul Martin. Here's another plus - Corner Gas is genuine 'family' entertainment; I don't think I've ever heard them swear. I hope you'll watch the listings for it!

4 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Blue is the colour I like Susan but Shhhh, don't say a word!

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Really?! Wow! Babe!

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Douglas said...

Red Green is unspeakably hilarious. While I would like to be Robert Hartley, I think I'm more like Red's nephew Harold.

 
At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Corner Gas. It is well written and they don't insult the views with a laugh track.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home