Friday, June 09, 2006

Brevity is the Soul of

STEALTH BLOGGING! I'm sure there are some of you out there who have the luxury of taking the time to craft elegant phrases with wise comments on the world at large. I know, of course, that you've all got lives that happen away from the computer but I'm betting that most of you also have ten, fifteen, or maybe even twenty-minute stretches when you're able to concentrate exclusively on one thing. I hope you appreciate how really lucky you are.

I've carefully kept my blogging to myself. My daughter is the only family member who knows about it (she's sworn to secrecy) and the only reason she knows is because she's at a safe distance. I know that if the boys in this house found out my life would turn to the purest hell. "Don't say anything about me!" or "That was sure stupid!". No, I'm not about to risk that.

I hadn't intended to start blogging - I blame Debra actually - but now that I'm here I'm quite enjoying the party and I'm reluctant to leave. So here's what I'm doing: I start a game of Spider Solitaire on the computer, make enough moves to look like I've been at it for a while and then I leave the game on the screen while I go over to blogger. I usually have two to three minutes between interruptions and when someone comes up behind me (oh the hot breath on my neck!) I whip the cursor down to the bottom of the screen and click on "Spider". I've done that at least six times in the last twenty minutes. The writing generated as a result of this technique sometimes seems a little 'staccato' to me but it's the best I can do in the circumstances. If anyone's got any advice, I'd be happy to listen to it.

6 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you could get a blackberry and e-mail your entries in from the bog

whatever you do don't stop

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Susan said...

I can always count on you, Skint! Actually it's not a bad idea... ah, but I don't really want to buy any more equipment - this may be just a passing fancy after all.

I love the word you just taught me!

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Passing fancy, are you nuts(slightly deranged)?
You blog like a pro and it's like Tesco's (Walmart) every time I visit, something new and interesting on the shelves!
Poor you, not being able to share with your family. The MD reads me and the kids loved being 'The Feckers'. Sometimes though I think it would be nice to keep it secretive and just for me!

 
At 5:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know just what you mean Susan. I am also a secret blogger-- Lewis (my hubbie) does know that I have one but I won't let him have the address as am too shy to have him read it. I haven't told the kids-- in case I feel the need one day to vent against the 'witch' (their mother)!

The way I deal with it is by doing most of my blogging late at night, when the kids are well in bed and Lewis is distracted!

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Maxine Clarke said...

Yes, I have posted many times about just this problem. Constant interruptions plus very little time in the first place.

When I started blogging my daughters were uninterested, seeing it as a "boring parent" thing I presume. Then they got curious, not about what I was writing but about what a blog was, so now they both have their own blogs. (Cathy already knew via MySpace and so on, but has gradually got keen on the idea of a more dedicated blog for her poems and reviews).

So quite often we all blog together on our laptops. I am interested in their blogs and often comment (I have their permission to read) but they don't seem interested in mine nor do they comment. I am glad about that as it is nice to write freely, but I don't mind if it changes either (as they get older especially).

My main problem is time, in that the job, commute and domestic stuff just means there is no time-- I practically never write a post without being interrupted a minimum of 10 times and often more. At the moment it is the weekend and they are both out, I guess if I want to write more thoughtfully it has to be at the weekend.

I decided when I first started my blog not to use it to vent....though I often feel like it, there is no deleting those words once written. (Written from the perspective of a repressed English person ;-).

Chacon a son gout, as the man said, from the comments you've received so far!

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Tom P. said...

I can never keep anything a secret. I had planned to keep my blog a secret but I forgot. Being forgetful makes one a lousy liar! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home